Saturday, August 31, 2013

BOOK OF THE MONTH : AUGUST 2013
























Title        : Hello, I'm Panda
Author    : Tan Kai
Publisher: ChinaSichuan 
                 Children's Publishing House

Hello, I'm Panda tells the little- known stories about Giant Panda with a unique point of view. This book describes the survival history of Giant Panda, the relationship between human being and Panda vividly. It also contains latest achievement of scientific research on Giant Panda.

The author Tan Kai is the executive editor of Bilingual magazine Giant Panda. He has traveled all nature reserves of Giant Panda within 32 years. He conducted deep research on the panda culture and published many literary works about Panda. So, he is given the name of the “Panda writer”.

Hello, I'm Panda will be hardcover in 16-open, about 35000 words of interesting stories. It contains more than 200 precious pictures, which are composed of both old pictures of high historic value and excellent photographs nowadays. Hello, I'm Panda is pleasant to read and beautiful to watch. They are not only stories with humanistic touch, but it is also a special children’s science book.

From the Foreword

Dear Friends:

Hello, I’m a panda. Outside the tree holes is a large, dark forest. I can hear the rhythm of the autumn rain. I’ve enjoyed a nice meal. How warm and safe I feel in my mother’s arms! However, mom has no time to rest. She uses her body to block the cold wind blowing from the tree holes. She is sitting upright and constant licking my little body. Mom always tends to me as I cry. I know she wants me to be more comfortable.

What do I see in the darkness?

It’s my mother’s sparkling eyes!Her eyes are the eyes of love. Mom has not had anything to eat or drink for more than ten days. She hugs me in her arms and looks at me every minute. “My cute baby”, I know she is saying in her heart.

These are tired eyes, wanting to close at any time. But the power of love makes them remain open and hold on.
These are also melancholy eyes, like the light of Polaris above the winter night sky I used to see when growing up —— cold and distant! Besides the delivery room in the rock pit, tree holes in the large forest, the breeding delivery room located in Wolong and Chengdu, and even in the world famous zoo, as long as you quietly approach the mother panda at night, you will always see tired, melancholy eyes!

Dear friends, can you understand the meaning of mother panda's melancholy eyes? When I was growing up, I learned that mom’s melancholy eyes brought forth 8,000,000 years of family history.
They show a deep worry for the Earth's current situation, and its future! However, I also want to tell you, my dear friends:
8,000,000 years! How many disasters and pains have we suffered during that time? We wouldn't be here today without the tenacity of mother pandas for countless generations.

Our family has a complicated history of human interaction.
In the past, human beings killed us just because of curiosity, or to occupy our homeland for their own needs. However, now our species is highly protected. People have created large nature reserves for us to live, and there are generations of scientists who research the secrets of our fertility and reproduction, in order to expand our numbers. This work will bring our family back.

Our family has been around for 8 million years. How many secrets we have! Why are panda cubs so tiny, weighing a mere 150 grams, which is only 1/900 of the mother panda? Why do we have short lives when there is no "green milk" like the water inside of vegetables? Why are we called the “flagship” of the animal world? Is it an undeserved fame? Why are we called the “living fossil”? Why are we granted the title “hermit of the bamboo forest”?
Why? ...

Chapters

I’m the NO.1 star in animal world
Let’s start with the “Ailuaractos lufengensis” living in 8000 thousand years ago
The airwaves uncovers the mystery of the “Bamboo Hermit”
Baby, marriage and fertility
in situ and ex situ conservation
Earthquake tearing protection area

Review Courtesy: http://www.inbooker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment